Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Dear 9 followers....

Dear 9 followers,

I know I have let you down.  Life got so crazy and eventful here that I have neglected to blog.  I am now realizing that blogging was probably the one thing keeping me sane.  So I vow to try to not let you down again. 

When I last left you, my car had decided to lose a wheel and I believe it was around Mardi Gras in Louisiana.  So, I will attempt to bring you up to speed with the next couple of posts.  So, they won't be current, but enjoyable none the less.

First of all, our 3 month, which turned into 4 month, "vacation" came to an end and we had to return to the United States to make a huge decision.  Did we want to sell off our entire life and move to Roatan or call it all a great vacation and go back to normalcy called American life?  Well, of course, we wanted to remain in the Carribean.  This came with a small price; we had to sell everything.  Selling everything sounds exciting, but I reassure you it is exhausting. 


So began our garage sales...I believe we had four?  When selling everything you have to decide what constitutes as everything?  Do you sell (or more likely) give away pots and pans, clothes, furniture, those DVDs that you've been collecting for years.  Oh no, not my CD collection from the 90s!  Seriously, the hardest thing I had to do was give away the books from my library that I've collected now for over 20 years....all in the name of moving.  Our close friends are now some of the proudest owners of some really awesome stuff. 


One last thing and I'll move on, people that came to our garage sale thought we were nuts...they literally passed the news on to other garage sale shoppers.  Everything at our garage sale was $1 or less!  How much is this set of cast iron pots?  $1, Seriously?  How much is this computer monitor?  $1, What?  It got to the point that we just started giving things away to people that bought one item....felt so good to do; however, we were labeled as crazy!  "We hear you are the crazy people practically giving stuff away"....Yep, that's us! 

From November to March, I returned home once for the dog incident that I previously blogged about, so when I returned in mid-March there was only one thing to do...eat Louisiana Southern food and lots of it!  I can't tell you how much crawfish this little person consumed, but it was more than the daily allowable by law rate (there is no such law so don't send anyone after me...I have enough trouble). 


Here's a picture of me and one of my bestees, Julie...it is a little blurry, the trusted waitress took our picture...I think she mumbled, "Stupid tourists."  Little did she know, I only had a couple of weeks to devour as much crawfish as possible! 


I just realized that I may have to explain what crawfish are to some people and why we would eat them.  The best way to describe a crawfish:  a little lobster that is much more juicier and Cajuns consume a lot of them!  Crawfish are usually boiled (how I prefer mine) with potatoes, corn, mushrooms, and onions...oh and lots of cajun seasoning!  They are delicious and sort of like sushi; you can eat, and eat, and eat them and it takes forever to be full.  Now, I continue...

Not only did we eat crawfish, but all the foods that we loved and missed for example, and spare me the time to plug a few local favorite vendors...Our very first stop was always Chick-Fil-A for their Spicy Chicken Sandwich.  This sandwich is so spicy hot and I consume it so fast that it always gives me hiccups...what the hell, have two! 


The next stop, usually the next day...give a girl a break, is usually Pizzavillage, U.S.A.  Oh man, one cannot do without their Italian dressing and their thin crust.  As a teenager, I worked in this restaurant briefly and I kick myself in the arm (that one was for you Johnny) for not remembering the recipe for that darn dressing!  Here's Chris enjoying a plate!



There are so many more restaurants in our tour de Lafayette but I'll leave some for tomorrow's blog.  So, for now, 9 followers spread the word and let's get one more follower! 

Until tomorrow,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment